Sunday, February 20, 2011

Keepin' it real

I haven't blogged for a while. I just haven't really been in the blogging mood. I'd like for my blog to be a place of joy and wonderment, sunshine and rainbowsPerfect and happy all the time, but that's not real life. In the spirit of keeping it real, and blogging about my life, I need to share what's going on in my life. All of it. The reality . . . .  and right now my reality is that I have cancer. That's not  anything anyone ever wants to say, or write, or think about themselves, but for now - it's my reality. We've been told that it's been caught early, and very treatable - so that's my joy. Thank God. The wonderment is how in the world this happened to me? The sunshine is the outpouring of support, love and friendship that I have been given from all of my friends and family. The rainbow? At the end of all of this, I will have the pot of gold that is my life, and THAT makes me perfectly happy. Since finding this out, Chris and I have had many conversations about PERSPECTIVE. I'm the worry wart, and he's the rational one. Again, thank God.  He gives me perspective. My back surgery will have to wait, and that's OKAY. We have been given very optimistic information for treatment, and recovery. This is good.  One of my nurses told me, "THIS IS JUST A BUMP IN THE ROAD". We can deal with that. It's going to be okay. My friend Linda gave me some flowers with an attached note: TURN YOUR FACE TO THE SUN AND THE SHADOWS FALL BEHIND YOU. I love it. Not only is it a very wonderful thought, but it's a Maori Proverb! The Maori people are indigenous  to  New Zealand! My beloved Jemaine (a New Zealand native) AND my favorite member of Flight of the Conchords is Maori! This proverb was meant for me! I'm not going to dwell on this. I've got more important things to do. So, keep your eye out for my "typical" posts. I've got  a lot to catch up on. This is just going to be a bump in the road of my life, and I'm going to keep that sun shining on my face while I drive right on through this - to whatever lies ahead. It's all good.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU - and your positive attitude and perspective is PERFECT!! Thanks, God, once again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Shanna! Well said. Your a strong lady and we all know this is JUST a bump in the road for you and your family. We are happy that the Proverb fits your life so well. That is a blessing.

    I only have one other thought. Concerning the picture on the left ... will you be eating that last piece of cake? :} It's looking mighty good.

    Take care friend. We are always there for you and we are keeping you in our prayers that you will get all the sunshine you want and need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment, but I don't see it here so I'll leave it again. It went like this, "Love you, Shanna. Love your post. Love that you shared. Love that you keep it real. Love that you're my girl."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and wisdom for the doctors for a complete healing and a miraculous peace during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you friends. Mike - that's that last piece of my birthday cake, and Carter has claimed it for himself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shanna, I am really sorry to hear that! I will definitely be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Shanna. I was trying to think of some inspirational words, but (once again)FOTC said it better than I can...

    Cheer up Murray
    Don't let it get you down
    Pick yourself up off the ground
    It's gonna be alright
    Cheer up Murray
    You look a little sad
    Your life ain't so bad
    Just think of all the good times
    Remember your 33rd birthday
    You threw a great big party
    And all of your friends were there for you
    Jemaine, Greg, and me
    We brought you a cake in the shape of a four and a three
    'cause we all thought you were forty three
    You got a dog
    He loves you Murray
    It's one hell of a dog
    It's an English bulldog
    And you've got a car
    Don't you Murray
    It's an '03 Accord
    Only one previous owner
    And you've got a job
    You've got all of your limbs
    You've got a sensitive nose
    And you do Tae Kwon Do
    You're good at matching your ties to your clothes
    You've got a wife
    Though she comes and goes
    Some people don't return your calls
    They don't return your calls
    People will call you Gingerballs
    They'll call you Gingerballs
    Those people don't know what they see
    They just see Gingerballs
    Gingerballs
    Cheer up Murray
    It's time to forget
    Your wife met someone on the net
    Let's go and get an ice cream
    Cheer up Murray
    So nothing goes your way
    It's the same every day
    Well, tomorrow is another day


    Get well soon, Gingerballs. I'll keep a good thought for you, but I have no doubt you're gonna give this cancer what for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To my new friend who has definately brought joy, wonderment, sunshine and may laughs and smiles to my days I am SO very sad to hear this news. I am happy you have such great friends and family to help you through this! Love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much love to you my Fred Meyer sister friend. I believe in the miracles of God and just know many many are praying for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m sending this to let you know
    I think of you each day,
    And pray for your recovery,
    Hoping soon you’ll be okay.
    You’re going through a lot right now;
    You’re treatments can be trying;
    Remember while you do them
    It’s your problem you’re defying.
    Hold on to your positive attitude,
    And when things get hard to bear,
    Know that I am here for you;
    Remember that I care.
    And when you’re well and flourishing,
    Look back and realize,
    You learned what you were made of;
    That’s a reward that satisfies!
    I believe in you; You can do it!

    ReplyDelete